The Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Tribal Assistance (TA) Program is working with the Leech Lake Health Division CHR program to streamline the billing for assistance services to Band Members.
These billing requirements will result in changes directly effecting Band Members applying for medical assistance services with the Tribal Assistance (TA) Program. Denial of all other available assistance services is required when applying for TA Medical Assistance services. In most cases, (Elders excluded) you will need to show you have applied at all other sources of assistance in
order to be eligible for TA, Medical Assistance services.
Please remember to go and apply for the Leech Lake Health Division, CHR Program services PRIOR to going to your medical appointment. You may also call the CHR Program to see if their services are available.
The Leech Lake TA Program will not be able to process your application for medical assistance services with out the proper paperwork and denials from other assistance sources. You could be denied these services from the TA Program as well as the CHR Program if you do not have the correct paperwork.
Help us prevent barriers to services for all Band Members.
Please call 218-335-3626 Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM—4:30 PM and ask for Bonita, Andrea, Carol, Tracey or Carmen if you have questions.
Tribal Assistance Eligibility
- Must be a Leech Lake Band Member.
- Must be in dire need of emergency or extraordinary assistance and must have exhausted all other resources.
- Eligibility shall be determined by the type of assistance requested.
- Mentally or physically disabled Band member must provide a written Social Security Statement of Disability or a Physician's statement of disability.
- Elders must provide proof of age being fifty-five (55) years or older.
Tribal Assistance must verify, at the time of each new application, the following:
- The identity of each adult and child for whom the assistance is requested.
- The age, if required to establish eligibility.
- The type of emergency claim and the basis for that claim which would require extraordinary assistance.
- The relationship of the caretaker of a child, mentally or permanently disabled or terminally ill, Band member for whom an application is being submitted, including documentation establishing custody, if applicable.
Tribal Assistance shall, without exception, verify that any existing Tribal, Federal or State emergency or direct assistance program has denied the Band member's request for assistance or otherwise determined the Band member to be ineligible for assistance.
Tribal Assistance must verify the following information:
- Receipt and amount of earned or unearned income.
- Termination from employment.
- Dependent care costs of an employed Band member at the time of the application.
Tribal Assistance may verify additional program eligibility and assistance payment factors if it is determined that information on the application is inconsistent with, statements made by the Band member, information on previous applications, or other information received.
Funeral Assistance is to assist families of a deceased enrolled Band member in paying funeral expenses. The family donation shall be made payable to the individual responsible for making the funeral arrangements. The program will disburse funds to the funeral home for services provided and costs incurred (up to the maximum, described below) upon submission of the following:
- Verified, itemized invoices
- Verification of enrollment
- A certified copy of the death certificate
- A signed Program acceptance form
For budgetary reasons, applications must be filed within ninety (90) days of the date of death.
Level of Assistance - Financial assistance for deceased Band members is as follows:
- Adult funeral - $5,000.00
- Adolescent funeral - $2,500.00
- Born Infant funeral - $2,500.00 - brought into existence by birth
- Pre-Life funeral - $1,500.00 - examples: stillborn/natural causes
Additionally, there is a family donation of $500.00.
$250.00 may be disbursed to a Band member if the deceased is an immediate family member, non-Band member.
- The Band member's family donation shall not exceed $500.00. There shall be one family donation to a Band member whose deceased immediate family member is a Band member ($500.00) or non-Band member ($250.00). The family donation shall be made payable to the individual responsible for making the funeral arrangements.
- Only one individual shall be eligible to submit an application and shall be the individual responsible for making the funeral arrangements. The responsible individual shall be responsible for the funeral home costs over and above the benefit amounts.
- Proof of death through the provision of a death certificate, obituary or letter from the selected funeral home.
- Written proof of funeral home expenses shall be provided by the funeral home.
Emergency Medical Expenses
We assist with Emergency Medical Expenses.
- This must be a life threatening medical emergency
- You must apply for this donation 3-4 days BEFORE your scheduled appointment to receive services
Leech Lake Band Member ONLY
- Proof of enrollment
- Medical appointment verification
- CHR denial (218-335-4507 CHR Program)
We assist Elders on a case-by-case basis. Elders can be assisted once, up to $300 each Fiscal Year, July 1st - June 30th.
- Leech Lake Band Member only
- 55 years and older
- Proof of enrollment
- Other - based on an individual basis
Please see the Tribal Asistance Regulations for more detailed information regarding Tribal Assistance.