Leech Lake Food Distribution Program provides a healthy food packages to eligible households on a monthly basis. Our service areas are for low-income households that reside on or near Reservation boundaries, households that live off the Reservation have to provide a Tribal lD that shows they are enrolled in a federally recognized tribe. Households cannot participate in the Food Distribution Program and the Snap Program in one given month.
Over the years we have worked on providing healthy food packages for our households. The Food Distribution Program provides fresh frozen meats, ground beef, beef roast, whole chickens, chicken breast and turkey breast. We all so give out fresh produce some are seasonal, red and green grapes, cherries, pears, peaches, apples, oranges, fresh vegetables green pepper, onions, red and russet potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes and mini carrots.
The produce is order fresh every week. Our food trucks come in every month. We also have a Nutrition Education Assistant (NEA) for your questions on nutrition. NEA provides handouts on nutrition, recipes and taste testing of foods that are given out in food packages. She will also have cooking classes for interested people.
When you apply for Food Distribution, you must complete the entire application and sign the application on the first and last page of the application. All head of households must have a face to face interview prior to certification.
We also have delivery service to Elderly Band members 55+ and the handicap.
Call for more information.
- Enrolled members and non-members within the Leech Lake Reservation boundaries
- Live in our service area for at least 30 days
You must reapply and verify each October.
- Income Verification: checkstubs for one month, award letters stating source and amount of income, income tax returns for prior year, printout of wages for 3 months for gaming, bank statements for direct deposit, etc.
- Verification of Residency in Our Service Area: for example, a bill or some type of mail with a recent date on it or an official idenfitication such as a driver's license.
- Proof That You Live Within The Leech Lake Reservation Boundaries: if you are not a member of a Federally Recognized Indian Tribe. For this, you must provide a legal land description of where you live and if this is not in your name, a receipt must be provided to verify you live at this location.
- For Indians Who Are members of A Federally Recognized Indian Tribe: you are requested to bring a Tribal ID or a statement from your Tribe stating you are an enrolled member of thir Tribe. A child can be considered, with enrollment verification.
- Food Stamp Termination Notices are requested if you have recently been on the Food Stamp Program or Food Portion of MFIP, GA or any other public assistance program.
- If You Have Recently Become Unemployed as a result of job termination/suspension, this must be verified by an employer's statement.
- Social Security Numbers Are Required for all household members. If a person does not have a social security number, you must discuss this with your worker.
- Shelter/Utility and Medical Deductions. Bring a current paid bill, rent receipt, medical receipts.
- Legally Obligated Child Suppport Payments can be deducted from your income with proof that you are court ordered to pay and provide proof of when you paid and amount you paid.
You must reapply and reverify each October