District II Communities
Bena • Boy Lake • Kego Lake • Smokey Point • Sugar Point
District II Representative
Steve White has been a life-long resident of the Leech Lake Reservation, he briefly relocated to the metro area to attend school and gain employment. Since then he has moved back to the reservation where he has been employed for 20+ years in various capacities within the reservation. His family all make Bena, MN their home.
Steve is an avid sportsman and enjoys spending his free time hunting, fishing, and being outdoors. Steve is also a loving father, and grandfather who treasures spending his time with his children and grandchildren.
In 2010, Representative White was elected to a four-year term as the Leech Lake Reservation Business Committee District II Representative. Since then he has been instrumental in many successes for the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe such as the following:
- Secured $20,000+ for educational scholarships from leading vendor Reinhart Food Service
- increased minimum base pay to $9.00/hr. in non-tipped positions reservation wide
- Secured funding and improved the Battle Point Pow-Wow grounds
- Supports youth activities such as yearly community trips to ValleyFair
- Established community outreach days in each District II community, where the services are brought to the people. They are scheduled as follows Bena 4th Friday of the Month, Sugar Point 4th Wednesday of the month and Kego Lake/Boy Lake/Smokey Point 2nd Wednesday of the Month all run from 1:30 to 4 PM
- Initiated planning for the following projects: improve the Boy River Bridge for a safer fishing area, construction of pavilion at the local beach in Sugar Point, researching with land department on how to develop picnic and swimming area near Bena Community Center
- secured needed maintenance funding for existing Sugar Point community center
- Secured funding through a partnership with the LL Planning Department and Sugar Point LIC for a new community center facility in the Sugar Point area (near pow-wow grounds)
- secured funding for van for Kego Lake/Boy Lake youth coordinator
These accomplishments are just a few of the priorities Representative White has established. Steve also serves on the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe Education Sub-Committee, the Tribal Nations Education Committee and attends all LIC meetings in District II. Steve maintains strong communication lines with all divisions and entities by attending regularly scheduled meetings and creating time to discuss needs in the area, with Division Directors and constituents. Steve strongly believes in making communication key in creating effective programming and change. Steve is very passionate about providing our band members with educational opportunities to improve their lives. Steve is honored to represent the District II area and will strive to provide quality services and representation to the people of Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe.
District II Quarterly Reports